My mom makes the yummiest potato soup: thick, creamy, and hearty. There’s been so many times when I wanted potato soup, but I couldn’t make her recipe because it has lots of milk and cheese in it. Unfortunately for me, I am kind of lactose intolerant. I say kind of because I can eat some cheese in small quantities, but I absolutely cannot handle milk. So, I finally set out to find a dairy-free potato soup that was just as thick, just as creamy, and just as hearty as my mother’s. And, fortunately for me, I struck gold on the first find. And, even better, on a 0 degree day in the mountains!
Here is the original recipe, from Taste Of Home:
Here are the things I did differently:
- Overall, this recipe was a success. Going into it, I could not imagine how this soup was going to be thick and [faux] creamy without the milk but, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was both. The recipe said to blend about half of the soup and mix it back in with the rest. This made for a final product with chunks of potatoes mixed in, which was a delightful texture variation. The celery also added a twist to the texture, adding a crunch to the soft and creamy soup. Lastly, don’t forget the bacon crumbles! Instead of 3 medium onions, I used 1 bundle of green onions because I favor them and also had them on hand.
- Instead of 4 medium potatoes, I used 5 organic medium red potatoes. This is what I had in my pantry because I couldn’t buy organic russet potatoes where I live. I don’t buy everything organic, but see #4 on this list for the reason why I buy organic root vegetables: http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12214-8-foods-even-the-experts-won-t-eat.html
- The recipe said to simmer 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes got tender. It took about 35 minutes for my potatoes to get tender while simmering. This could be due to elevation, as I live 8,550 feet.
- After tasting the mixture while it cooked I added salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder to taste.
- I garnished with bacon crumbles! Mmmm mmm…potato soup just isn’t potato soup without the bacon!